Monday, August 24, 2009

A New Poem by Me (and WS and TJ)

In the practical, it's not ideal to post a poem and then hope it finds a journal home, to post is to publish to a degree.  whereas after publishing a poem somewhere, posting it is fine too.  So for efficiency, why not only post poems that have been published, and save the sweet young things at home?   Because sometimes something new gets stuck in my head and I just want to say it out loud and show it to friends so much that I sacrifice its future upon my desire.  What desire? I wonder, and guess it is a desire for communion.  Which reminds me of the subject of the poem.


A Marriage of Love and Independence

When in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes

When in the course of human events it becomes

I all alone beweep my outcast state

necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands

and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries

which have connected them with another and to assume

and look upon myself and curse my fate

among the powers of the earth,

wishing me like to one more rich in hope

the separate and equal station to which the Laws

featured like him, like him with friends possessed,

of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them,

 

with what I most enjoy contented least

We, therefore, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world

Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising, 
   

for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name,

Haply I think on thee,--and then my state 


and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies,

(Like to the lark at break of day arising 
   

solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies

from sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven's gate; 


are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States

For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings 
   

That then I scorn to change my state with kings. 

No comments: